Monday, December 21, 2015
The Music Maven's Music Monday #44: The Music Maven’s Top 10 Albums of 2015
Where did this year go?! 2015 went by in a flash! Thankfully, we had some great music to get us through the year. Here are my Top 10 Albums – these are the albums that sound tracked my 2015.
10. Stages by Josh Groban: This album is my guilty pleasure – it’s SO not rock n’ roll. I love all kinds of music, and I love Broadway musicals and the classics from the American songbook. Stages is such a beautiful compilation of some of my favorite songs including two songs from Les Miserables, and a medley from Into The Woods and Sweeney Todd. If you’re not a fan of Josh Groban now, you will be after listening to this album. Music Maven Approved Tracks: Bring Him Home, Children Will Listen/Not While I’m Around
8. South/Bashful Creatures by Hippo Campus: Okay, I’m kinda breaking the rules here, but I’m obsessed with this band, and they just had to have a spot on this list even though their releases this year were EP’s and not full length albums. I love the interesting rhythms that are layered throughout their songs – it’s really difficult to sit still when you’re listening to Hippo Campus. I need a full length release from this band SOON! Music Maven Approved Tracks: South, Suicide Saturday, Little Grace
7. And the Wave Has Two Sides by On An On: I love this three piece band. The first time I saw them it was me and about 3 of my friends – that’s it – in the whole venue. Oh, wait, there was a random drunk guy…but I don’t think he had a clue who was on stage. That kinda depressing show didn’t dampen my interest or love of On An On’s music, and I was so glad when I saw them again this year that there was a great crowd that showed the band a lot of love. I’m sure their latest album has a lot to do with their growing following – And the Wave Has Two Sides is moody, atmospheric, and a steady listen from start to finish. Music Maven Approved Tracks: Drifting, Icon Love, Wait for the Kill
5. What’s Real by MisterWives: MisterWives just make me happy. Their singles Our Own House and Reflections were my jams this year – I cannot listen to those songs without starting a one woman dance party. What’s Real was the album that I most frequently had on blast this year. Music Maven Approved Tracks: Our Own House, Reflections, Best I Can Do
3. Story of an Immigrant by Civil Twilight: According to Spotify, Civil Twilight was my most played artist this year. I love this band because they just don’t seem to follow a formula when it comes to their songwriting and arrangements – I feel like I hear something new and interesting every time I listen to Civil Twilight. Music Maven Approved Tracks: Holy Dove, Story of an Immigrant, River Child
And there you have it – my Top 10 Albums of 2015. It was a very good year to be a music lover! Don’t forget to tell me your favorite albums of the year in the comments below! See you in 2016!